I absolutely love the Oh She Glows cookbooks. Angela Liddon has created incredibly delicious, affordable, versatile, and healthy recipes. My favorite part is that she uses real whole foods throughout. I have both cookbooks now- The Oh She Glows Cookbook and Oh She Glows Everyday. Whenever someone asks me for a cookbook recommendation, they are my first picks. They are seriously so good!
This soup recipe is one of my favorites. It is from the original Oh She Glows Cookbook. It reminds me of when my grandmother would make me tomato soup with a pb&j for lunch, the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Yes, a pb&j instead of grilled cheese-don’t knock it til you try it 😉 Essentially, it’s a delicious and comforting bowl of soup.
I made a few minor changes, mostly based on what was in my kitchen. I left out the jalapeño, used canned whole tomatoes instead of diced, I had no parsley, and used cashews instead of peanuts for garnishing.
Ingredients (that I used):
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 4 cups broth (made from boullion)
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 handfuls kale, chopped
- Raw cashews, for serving
How I Made It
- In a big saucepan saute onion and garlic on medium heat until onion is translucent. ~5 min
- Add in bell pepper, sweet potato, tomatoes. Turn heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 min
- Add 3 cups of broth, chili powder, and cayenne.
- Pour remaining cup of broth into measuring cup. Add in peanut butter and whisk until combined. Add to pan.
- Cover and let simmer on low for 15 min or until sweet potato is cooked.
- Stir in kale and chickpeas and cover for additional 5 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Add cashews after serving into bowls.